Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Setting the Stage

It's a little hard to articulate my full reaction to the readings and videos in this section of our class. Because I'm kind of all over the place. I have a friend who would urge me not to equivocate so much!

I can be unequivocal in my dislike of the dire warnings that the US will end if we don't get on board with technology. I think that we do have to improve education and that science education is particularly important in helping students (future workers competing with India and China--though there are so many marginalized children in those countries--vast numbers without access to clean water, let alone iPads and blogs--another conversation, but part of this one too) develop 21st century skills. I think we are trying to teach analysis and problem solving. I don't know that we do so well with communication and collaboration though honestly. I hear from industry folks all the time that these (skills mentioned in the 21st Century Skills paper) are the skills they need--can they write, communicate, anticipate, problem solve? Science ed can prepare students for this if it is well done and interdisciplinary. The incorporation of technology must first teach students the technology (being able to twitter or fb does not mean they have a clue--though some are amazingly knowledgeable and are great developers and practitioners), then we should use the technology to increase their science literacy and critical thinking skills.

As instructors we have a responsibility to do this I think, regardless of whether we love to tweet or blog. We need to have our students use these tools in ways that are pedagogically sound (do we know what these ways are yet? We need to measure this.) and that will actually enhance their life skills and employment skills. Can we give them a graph with one type of data trending one way, and another graph trending another, and ask them the relationship between them. How can technology help us do this? Certainly we don't need much tech to show them two graphs. But, could we have them collect data from a variety of sources--including individuals in far far away? Then can they manipulate the data, look for trends, project what ifs? Finally, could they collaborate on background and supporting information to help inform what they are finding and share it all?

How does this help in their non-science life? When I look at my state retirement portfolio, I don't always "get" the graphs! I need more information, I wish I could change numbers and see what happens. Could I do this and gather and compile the information from other investments and properties.....and share it with a financial advisor, etc.? This would be useful. It's not mitosis/meiosis, but these are life skills that we can help teach through our science classes.

We do need to encourage kids to consider science fields, because we need more scientists. It's a complex problem like everything else. Part of this has to be a change in how we present science and the options out there. We need to let them know that there is a huge variety of disciplines and jobs. We have to encourage development of jobs in this country to support more scientists. Being literate with technology is essential for these students.

Lastly, a few comments on Steve Hargadon's blog Web 2.0 Is The Future of Education. I feel like it's already here. Now we have to test, try, measure, develop and share. I enjoyed the comments especially, even the snooty ones (the ones that called some of us technophobes, etc.). How do we more teachers to use novel web tools? Especially in the sciences. I actually think that other disciplines may be more proactive in this (no data though). We are all really busy! We really do have information coming from us from so many directions, I'm trying to learn about technology in education, I'm fbing with friends, and now I'm tweeting. I can read several newsources hourly, and listen to podcasts of archived stories and reports. I'm looking for recipes on epicurious on my iPhone, and playing Words With Friends, with, friends--so much information, so many tools and cool things, so little time, so much distraction. Some teachers will develop the new curriculum, others will adopt that which is well vetted and has proven results, and then will tweak it to fit their needs. We need to support and encourage all types.

1 comment:

  1. Very, very good point about needing to teach them the technology first. That can be a real stumbling block, but most students I've encountered are braver than I am about tackling a new piece of technology :)

    ReplyDelete