Wednesday, July 21, 2010

D2L Discussion reflection

It's so interesting to me to that so many people from different parts of the country can come together for a common experience without ever being together physically. We all know the advantages of online classes; but when it is successful, as I feel this class has been, it's a great thing to watch happen and participate in (that probably explains why I like to teach online now and then!). We have all had a lot of similar experiences it seems in learning new tools, coming to grips with our pre-conceived ideas, and gaining confidence. Yet, there seems to be a lot of diversity in the tools we have chosen to showcase or use in our final projects. This reinforces for me the idea that my students will have their personal preferences; tools that will make sense to them or motivate them. I hope to give them some choice in the tools that they use for projects.

The blog as display and comment platform has been one of the best things in this class. As a place for forced reflection, but also as a resource. Seeing what everyone else has been doing and their trials and tips has been a source of inspiration, and really helped me get through some of the tools. More importantly; to see good applications of the tools. We all seem to have learned so much from each other's experiences.

Most everyone also expressed the need for trying out the tools and how overwhelming the list is. It's so easy to get lost in searching and playing with the technology and I think we all experienced that. This also informs my project and use of tools. I think that I want to give my students choice, but from a short list so they can try them and choose more quickly.

I think what we all take with us is the importance of the collaborative aspect of using the tools. It's kind of ironic, since doing science is a very collaborative endeavor, that we often overlook that in the classroom. I think that the major reason this class is so successful is because of the collaboration and communication of the instructor and all the participants. Can you imagine trying to do this all on your own? I can't, and I haven't, even though I knew I should learn about them. So, thanks again Dr. Brunsell and everyone. Looking forward to staying in touch via twitter, and #scichat, Teaching science 2.0, Edutopia, and our blogs--hope you plan on keeping them going.

No comments:

Post a Comment