Sunday, July 25, 2010

Guiding Principles redux

Here are my original thoughts:
Work with it first on my own
Consult with others
Must find ways to measure learning
Interactive/Collaborative in a way that supports learning
Helps students with discernment of sources and information
Potential development of Open Educational Resources (OER)

I think that I still feel pretty good about these, but within the scope of this class measurement and development of OERs kind of went out the window! I definitely think these are important and are perhaps part of the second and third stages of develpment on projects and use. Now that I know a little more about how I want to use the tools I can begin to think about how to assess their efficacy in increasing student attitudes, engagement, and hopefully learning. Honestly, if the learning is about the same, but student attitudes and engagement increase I think that's a win. I know that using the Create an Argument model will definitely increase student learning on how to use and interpret data. After a couple of semesters of using the Blog and a few tools on projects I think I'll have a better idea of what kind of OERs I would like to develop. I've just found out that we have money to pay instructors to do OER development and that we have staff to do things like video, animations, etc. so that instructors don't have to spend as much time on this part and more time on the curriculum side. So I may do a couple of things this fall--some videos on techniques in our micro lab that students could watch and review with.

I also need to incorporate information on good sources and good behavior online. The latter isn't really a problem, but it is important to help students develop and cultivate their professional online persona. Since I do teach online, I sometimes have issues with students who think we are all on fb together and not in a class. I want students to understand the value of good collaboration and powerful idea exchange, not just fun, social commentary.

Finally, I think I would add some things to my list that other's have said: Have fun! Don't be afraid! Be an agent of change (when change means better!). Promote original and higher order thinking skills....I should look back at all this again after the fall semester!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with those last comments - have fun! don't be afraid! etc. It is interesting that you note that some online students treat the class as fb. That's something I had never considered, so I guess that makes it even more important for me to state the expectations for the online discussions. Thanks for the thought! Also, I've wanted to ask you all summer- how did you set up your sidebar on this blog to link to ScienceDaily and the USGS site? Is it set up as a feed from their site? Any direction would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy....to add the feeds, go to the blog design page>add a gadget>RSS feeds>add the url of the feed, it will also ask you how many posts you want to show up from the feed. Then you can move the gadgets around in the layout and in the order you want. Hope it works, if it doesn't let me know!

    ReplyDelete